Rotring 600 Fountain Pen – Lava Finish – Medium Nib (1994-2000)
Here’s another photo post…I’m starting to like these. This is becoming my go-to review format for discontinued or older pens. While the in-depth reviews can help with purchase decisions on products that readily available, I feel like these are kind of a cool way to feature a discontinued pen while still giving my impressions. Let’s be real, they’re basically the same as the full reviews, but without the fluff. This installment of my Photo Posts features the Rotring 600 Lava. This pen was produced between 1994 and 2000 and can be found pretty regularly on eBay. I’d like to thank Mr. Mike Dudek over at TheClickyPost.com for completely and totally enabling me to buy this pen. This wasn’t even your standard enabling through pictures or reviews on his site, it was a straight up email containing solely an eBay link. There seems to be an abundance of these in Slovakia, all coming from one eBay seller…possible weird Rotring mob stash? Possible. Anyway, enjoy the pictures of this awesome, awesome, awesome looking and feeling pen!
- Now discontinued
- Mike Dudek is an enabler
- SUPER German design
- Hidden mob stash of them in Slovakia
Appearance and Packaging:
- NOS in original plastic shell packaging!
- Super plain nib, doesn’t even have a breather hole
- Lava finish is awesome (looks and tactile feel)
- Plastic clamshell packaging with plastic viewing window
- Pen is thin, but not too thin
Nib and Filling System:
- Good flow, relatively smooth steel nib could use some tweaking
- Slightly scratchy UPDATE: better with other inks
- Writes a true Western medium line
- Fills with cartridge or converter – standard international size
- Nice heft, metal body
- Unposted is more balanced than when posted
- Finish is really cool.
- Grip is a bit narrow, but still comfortable
- All-metal body oozes quality
- Great build quality
- Classic German design
- Lava finish is unique
- Discontinued means the prices can get a little crazy
- Back-heavy when posted
- I paid a good price for mine
- I love German design – needed this in the collection
- Nice to finally have a pen in Lava finish
Thanks for reading everyone!
22 thoughts on “Rotring 600 Lava Fountain Pen Photo Post”
Wow that looks great. I had no idea Rotring made fountain pens. I might have suspected but never gave it a thought. And that finish… Too bad they don’t make it anymore. I have a thing for Rotring-branded things.
Where can I give this one 😜
Love love love the look of the 600! Thanks for the great review and pictures.
Thanks for reading! Great site by the way, best of luck!
I’ve always wanted a 600 in Lava. Ed, you gotta give me a source for these things.
Check out ebay user “mail00” – he’s got quite a few old Rotrings. Lavas included.
Haha it’s a looker.
ooh, I need this pen 🙂
Sweet pen! My husband has one and I keep trying to steal it…but I apparently am not stealthy enough to succeed…
i have this pen also, i love it, i like the heavy weight.
i find it to be a very robust pen, the only one with this characteristic among my collection of almost 60 fountain pens. this is definetly a very unique pen.
Indeed it is!
I actually got rid of mine to fund my Nakaya. The grip was a bit too narrow for me to use comfortably on a daily basis. I do miss the pen from time to time though.
I have one, I found it in a Flea Market, very very nice Pen, looks good, feels good and writes very well.
Hi. I have this fountain pen Rotring 600 LAVA in my collection. It is without use (new old stock). Perhaps some of you would like to buy it. Regards
What’s your asking price?
I believe that USD 300 is a good price for me. I am located in Santiago-Chile . In addition, a world class courier should take at least USD50 perhaps more.