Here’s another photo post…I’m starting to like these. This is becoming my go-to review format for discontinued or older pens. While the in-depth reviews can help with purchase decisions on products that readily available, I feel like these are kind of a cool way to feature a discontinued pen while still giving my impressions. Let’s be real, they’re basically the same as the full reviews, but without the fluff. This installment of my Photo Posts features the Rotring 600 Lava. This pen was produced between 1994 and 2000 and can be found pretty regularly on eBay. I’d like to thank Mr. Mike Dudek over at TheClickyPost.com for completely and totally enabling me to buy this pen. This wasn’t even your standard enabling through pictures or reviews on his site, it was a straight up email containing solely an eBay link. There seems to be an abundance of these in Slovakia, all coming from one eBay seller…possible weird Rotring mob stash? Possible. Anyway, enjoy the pictures of this awesome, awesome, awesome looking and feeling pen!
- Now discontinued
- Mike Dudek is an enabler
- SUPER German design
- Hidden mob stash of them in Slovakia
Appearance and Packaging:
- NOS in original plastic shell packaging!
- Super plain nib, doesn’t even have a breather hole
- Lava finish is awesome (looks and tactile feel)
- Plastic clamshell packaging with plastic viewing window
- Pen is thin, but not too thin
Nib and Filling System:
- Good flow, relatively smooth steel nib could use some tweaking
- Slightly scratchy UPDATE: better with other inks
- Writes a true Western medium line
- Fills with cartridge or converter – standard international size
- Nice heft, metal body
- Unposted is more balanced than when posted
- Finish is really cool.
- Grip is a bit narrow, but still comfortable
- All-metal body oozes quality
- Great build quality
- Classic German design
- Lava finish is unique
- Discontinued means the prices can get a little crazy
- Back-heavy when posted
- I paid a good price for mine
- I love German design – needed this in the collection
- Nice to finally have a pen in Lava finish
Thanks for reading everyone!
- Sailor Pro Gear Imperial Black Fountain Pen Review
- Sailor Sapporo Fountain Pen Review
- Pelikan M605 Picture Post