If you would like to submit your Weekly Loadout of pens, ink, and paper, please share by clicking here!
Steve H’s Loadout
I enjoy carrying a number of pens and typically use one each day as it provides a clear demarcation between each day’s writing in my work journals or personal notebooks. I have a couple of lovely vintage pens (including a Sheaffer Pen For Men V and my late father’s Parker 51) but found that they just didn’t work as reliably as modern pens and I value being able to just pick-up and use my pens with no fuss.
I carry my pens in an Enveloop pen roll which I’ve customised to make room for a small glass Midori ruler and Faber ‘flying saucer’ eraser. The pens I carry at the moment are:
* Rotring 600 Lava rollerball on the outside of the case so it’s easy to grab.
* Nakaya Aka-tamenuri, portable writer with a flexible fine with elastic finishing loaded with Pilot Iroshizuku yama-budo (crimson glory) ink
* Pilot Falcon with a fine nib loaded with Aurora Blue ink
* Pilot Custom 823 with a medium nib loaded with Pilot Iroshizuko Asa-Gao (morning glory) ink
* Pelikan 805 with an extra fine nib loaded with Pilot Iroshizuki Shin-ryoku (forest green) ink
* Platinum #3776 Motosu demonstrator with a fine nib loaded with Diamine Passion Red ink
* Faber Alpha Matic mechanical pencil. I’ve been using this pencil since I bought it when studying my engineering degree and I think it’s the best mechanical pencil ever made.
I’ve only recently received the Nakaya pen and I’m already in love with the new nib and the lustre of the layers of urushi lacquer. It makes it hard to stay on my daily cycle of pen use! Although the Pilot ink colour is a very attractive red I think Diamine Oxblood in this pen would make for a stunning combination.
Least Favorite Combo:
The pen I retired from the rotation is an Onoto Classic Grand with a fine nib (ground down to EF by John Sorowka). Although this is another wonderful big pen with a buttery smooth nib, the rigidity of the clip makes it more of an ‘executive pen’ designed to sit on a desk rather than being carried.
Steve, great carry! Beautiful Nakaya! I love my Custom 823, at first I wasn’t huge on the color of the pen, but it’s really grown on me. I can’t help myself from staring at my Nakaya, the lacquer has such great depth to it. Oxblood is one of my favorite inks, it spends a lot of time in my kuro-tamenuri Neo Standard.
Thanks for sharing!
If you would like to submit your Weekly Loadout of pens, ink, and paper, please share by clicking here and filling out the form!